Andrew teaches from his home in South East London but also commutes with an additional travel fee. He is fully DBS checked and has experience teaching adults and children. Outside private teaching Andrew is appointed double bass teacher for the Oasis Academy in South London.
“Andy is a great music teacher. He’s a professional musician, and it shows. As an adult with a busy career myself, I don’t have much time. Andy is always punctual and tailors his lessons to my ability and time for practice. He has an ability to explain the complicated music theory and he’s very patient with me as I work to grasp the new concepts. My double bass playing is really improving. I thoroughly recommend him.”
“Andrew has been teaching my son for over a year now; he always shows up on time and Isaac really enjoys his lessons. You can tell he has a natural talent for teaching and working with children”
Why study with me?
I’m fortunate enough to have studied with the best players in London for an extensive period of time.
Alongside private tuition I have studied for three years at the UK’s best conservatoires. The Guildhall School of Music and Drama and Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance.
Tutors I’ve studied with.
– Laurence Cottle (Session Bassist – Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, James Taylor)
– Phil Mulford (Sessions Bassists – West End; Beyonce, Chaka Khan, Tom Jones)
– Stuart Clayton (Head of BIMM in Bristol & founder of Bassline Publishing)
– Colin Paris (Principle of the London Symphony Orchestra)
– Chris West (Guest Principle Royal Philharmonic Orchestra)
– Michael Janisch ( Played for; Lee Konitz, Quincy Jones, Roy Hargrove)
What can I offer if you study with me?
– I can offer regular lessons on a weekly basis; so you’re constantly getting the support you need to become a better musician.
– All my lessons are planned in advanced; so you get the most out of the lesson.
– I always give my students a plan of exercises to work on between lessons; this way you feel like you’re getting the most value for money.
– I’m a professional working musician in the industry and make a living through playing alone. This is extremely valuable when passing information onto my students because I’m actively involved in the professional scene.
What topics do I cover in lessons?
– Building Walking Bass Lines.
– Sight Reading.
– Harmony & Scales.
– Basic Music Theory.
– Popular Music Styles. (Electric Bass)
– Technique. (Jazz/Pop)
– Beginner Bow Technique. (French)
– The Fundamentals (Time and working on making a good sound)
How much do I charge?
1 hour: £30
Travel Charge: *Depends on distance for teaching; so please enquire.
How many years teaching experience do I have?
– I have extensive experience working with children and adults in a teaching setting;
– I have been teaching for around a year privately.
– I also have been a cover teacher for ECaM (Every Child a Musician/Newham Council
– I am a faculty member at the Oasis Academy in Croydon.